


Roy and I absolutely love Christmas. It is by far my favorite time of year. There are so many different things that I enjoy . . . I love being creative and this time of year always allows me to make gifts, cards, decorate, bake, cook, wrap presents, etc. I also love buying gifts for my loved ones . . . there is just something about picking out a gift you know someone else will really enjoy.
Preparing for Christmas this year was a bit delayed. Luckily I did a lot of Christmas shopping before Mia arrived. Obviously I had no idea she would be here so early but I was anticipating getting huge and not wanting to shop come December. Either way it worked out.
Roy and I are planners by nature. Every year we have been married we have a routine. The Christmas lights get up before Thanksgiving Day so that when our turkey day guests leave we can light up the house. The weekend of Thanksgiving the tree would go up. Within a week or so the presents would be wrapped and under the tree. My cards would be made and mailed out that week after Thanksgiving. All of this would be done so we could plan and prepare for our annual appetizer party.
Well, for any of you that know what it is like to have a child all routine, plans, etc go out the window . . . and I am ok with this. So needless to say much of the above was delayed or didn't even happen at all. However I told Roy above and beyond anything else our tree was going up. It is my most prized Christmas possesion. I guess I could say we collect ornaments. We have them from loved ones, vacations, meaningful events, hobbies, interests, etc. Within a few years I am certain we will need another tree. Where will we put it . . . I have no idea. As the rest of the house is normally brimming with decorations as well. I might have to resort to decorating the laundry room :)
We got up half our lights - everything on the ground level and porch is up but the roof has been too wet/icy ever since we returned from the hospital. So we bypassed the lights and wreaths that normally go up on the house itself. We put up most of the decorations inside the house.
So in some ways Christmas isn't the same this year but in a lot of other ways it is even better. Mia won't even know this is her first Christmas but it is the possibilities for the Christmas's of the future that excite me the most. I think Roy and I will make pretty good Mr. and Mrs. Claus. Now the biggest debate for us is . . . Do presents from Santa get put under the tree wrapped or unwrapped?
2 comments:
I vote for wrapped!!
wrapped in special santa paper. I wrap everything...even the stocking stuffers for the kids. Jimmy has Cars paper and Julia has princess paper...that is only used by Santa. It's so much more fun to watch them open everything.
Post a Comment